Wednesday, January 21, 2009

1/21

I arrived a few minutes late to class today, but it was fine, since times aren't really as strict in Mexico, depending on the person. Filemon is pretty chill, so no worries, and I was glad to hear that he was feeling much better today. Conversation class with Oscar was good, and we discussed article about the media a bit more, then moved on to more topics like the war in Iraq, terrorism in general, what I think of Obama and the future, and some things about literature. It seems that Oscar is a pretty deep person, and talking about these topics is great, since I like deep discussions too, but it is a bit exhausting, and it would also be nice to talk about lighter things as well. Cristina had to leave my class with Enrique early since she was feeling pretty sick, while Anna and I watched a documentary about a musician who specializes in the accordian. I liked the music, but a documentary as the last class in the day almost had me falling asleep.

I went home for lunch, and was happy to be able to take a nap (yes!) since the movie time was pushed back a half hour. At 5, I went back to Cuauhnahuac to watch The Three Burials, a movie with Tommy Lee Jones that is about half in English, half in Spanish, but subtitled in Spanish. It was an interesting dramatic movie that portrayed the US border patroll and its relationship with Mexicans. When a Mexican friend of Jones is shot by patroller Norton, Jones decides to take matters into his own hands since no body else seems to care, and he kidnaps the officer, uncovering his corpse and bringing Norton in handcuffs and the corpse of Jones's dead friend to Mexico by horse. A long trip ensues in which the patroller first tries to run away, then almost dies from a snake bite. The officer is saved by the same woman whom he had violently attacked at the border at the beginning of the movie (although reluctantly). Norton begins to change his state of mind from fear and anger to one of sadness and regret as the two continue along with their journey, meeting with other Mexicans and eventually arriving the the shot Mexican's old village, where he had wished to be buried. At last, Norton repents, and Jones lets Norton free and gives him his dead friend's horse, as a symbol for the resolution. The film does a great job of portraying the the dark side of the US border patrol and infuses lots of emotion, and I recommend seeing it. I am not surprised by the deep topic, since Oscar is the one in charge of the films.

No comments:

Post a Comment